Provision of toilet in every house is being made to make Bihar, free of open defecation, healthy and clean. All urban and rural families of the state are being encouraged for regular use of toilets by bringing about collective behavioral changes. To fulfill this Nishchay, two schemes have been started by the State Government :-
- Lohiya Swacch Bihar Abhiyaan
- Shauchalay Nirmaan (Urban Areas) Yojana
Lohiya Swacch Bihar Abhiyaan
- Rural Development Department is implementing this scheme in all 8386 Gram Panchayats of the State.
- All families in rural areas who do not have access to toilets are eligible for this scheme. The benefits of the scheme is given to all families equally.
- The scheme aims to provide toilet facility to almost 1.21 crore families by the year 2019-20.
- As of now a total of 8,386 Panchayats, 534 Blocks and 101 Sub-Divisions and 38 Districts have been declared Open Defecation Free (ODF) and 115.60 lakh households have been covered.
Shauchalay Nirmaan (Urban Areas) Yojana
- Shauchalay Nirmaan (Urban Areas) Yojana is being implemented by Urban Development and Housing Department.
- Under this scheme work is being done in urban areas of the state to provide toilet facilities to almost 4.36 lakh families who don’t have access to toilets.
- Families who have land available for toilet construction are provided facility of individual toilet and those who do not have adequate land are provided toilet facility through Community Toilets.
- Urban Development and Housing Department aims to provide toilet facilities to 4.36 lakh families by the year 2019-20.
- As of now a total of 3.84 lakh Individual Household Latrines (IHHL) and 20,476 Community Toilets have been constructed. 3367 Urban Wards and 142 Urban Local Bodies declared ODF.